Low Water Pressure in Faucets

1. Dave

Similar problem...outside sillcock has low flow. Removed the anti-ciphon valve and even disassembled (removed) the (frost resistant) valve stem. Still low flow. Any ideas???
    Thanks,

Dave, you need to schedule a 15-Minute call with me. There's simply too much to talk about and type.

2. Roger l

in a 2 story home the water pressure up stairs is good. The down stairs water pressure in very slow.

3. Peter Rupp

Had new counter tops in stalled and new Artisan pullout faucet. Had very low water pressure compared to the old Moen single handle faucet. Took out the aereator at faucet discharge, didn't help, removed valve cartridge, no blockage. Called the installer and he said He had installed hundreds of these faucets with out this problem. Well if he installed that many why didn't he tell me there is a pressure restrictor at the discharge connection of the faucet to the hose. I removed this little thing. Presto, good water pressure.

4. samantha
    February 2, 2015

The maimidnight water line at my wheel broke the one that goes into the ground as replace it but now I have sand in my pipes go help cold water side will not work in my bathroom my washing machine or Nothing how do I get the sand out

February 3, 2015

Easy. Flush the lines with clear water.

5. Joe V
    February 22, 2015

Just wanted to say that I had googled a similar issue and found your suggestions. Problem solved! Thanks so much, Tim!

6. Julie
    March 3, 2015

We cannot get water to our sink faucets or toilet in an apartment over our garage. We have checked the pump to our well which is working fine and getting water to our filter unit but from there we cannot get water to the apartment. Have checked for sediment and pipes are not frozen. Any suggestions?

March 3, 2015

I'd unscrew one or more of the compression nuts on top of the shut off valves under the sink or toilet that's at the base of the flexible supply tube.

If water pressure is in the line and LIQUID water, believe me you'll get sprayed! Have a old towel handy to capture the water.

7. Guy Carpenter
    March 23, 2015

Several weeks ago my kitchen faucet suddenly lost half it's pressure. Last time this happened, three years ago, the manufacturer supplied a new cartridge and the problem was solved. Once again, I received and installed a new cartridge from the manufacturer and now the water pressure is down to a trickle! What happened?

8. Chris Helwig

Thanks so much for your article. I had done some major plumbing work and in the end I had low pressure at all my sinks but regular pressure at all my spigots. I turns out that all the aerators were clogged from all the junk that gets knocked loose when you work on the plumbing. Thanks for you help.

9. Jerry

Since I moved in my newly constructed home, my water pressure seemed lower than anyone else's home I've ever been in. The city said it has normal pressure. 12 years have gone by. This includes everywhere that water comes out. Sinks, tubs, toilets, outside faucets, etc. I will try what you said in the above regarding sediment and aerators and such. Can you think what else it could be? Thanks.

10. Tim T.
    June 5, 2015

Yep, that was it. Thanks, Tim!

11. Kathy Kopfhammer
    June 24, 2015

We are looking for a new kitchen faucet. All the ones I like have 1.5 gpm, maybe 1.8 gpm. We are used to very high water flow/pressure throughout the house. I can't stand a faucet with low pressure. Looking at Moen Camerist, Braemore or Wetherly in a darker bronze color. I cannot tell how much plastic in each one, whether it is high quality and will last and if there is a way to increase the water flow/pressure in any of them? Can the cartridge be changed? Aerator? Something else to take out?
    Also, If I got one with a side spray, would the spray be soft and not very strong? Any advice? Thanks!

12. Goku

I have a KWC Domo Faucet with a cartridge... After replacing the cartridge, the water pressure has decreased trememdously. I've confirmed that both hot and cold water valves are turned all the way ON and I've cleaned the sediments and debris from the aerators and faucet hose... Not sure what else to check... I've installed the previous faucet cartridge, but the water pressure remained the same. Don't know where to go from here..

Please advise.

Thanks in advance

• John

Exact same thing happened to me yesterday, did you figure out how to fix it? Please help!

13. John

And mine is a moen single handle goose neck faucet with built in wand. Cartridge part number 1225. I turned the water back on and it came out normally for about one second and then went down to a trickle.

14. AzamAli
    October 9, 2015

Hi Tim,
    I have the same scenario with Peter Rupp. He mentioned about removing the pressure restrictor and I wonder how it looks like. Anybody can show me?

15. Linda
    November 9, 2015

Is there any such thing as an aerator with wider screens? My Delta kitchen faucet continually stops up. Got a new aerator but when it is on the water backs up and comes out where the faucet connects to the base! Have had to remove aerator all together now!! Grrrr!

16. Dave
    March 9, 2016

I too have a water flow issue. I have two Kohlers single pole faucets one has good water flow the other is so poor it doesn't turn on my "On-demand" hot water heater. I took it apart and didn't "See" any obstructions, any ideas?

17. Adam

Hi Tim!

My wife and I just bought our first home a week ago. We started watering the garden, and for a few days there was no problem. Then one day, the water flow pressure to the sprinklers dropped dramatically, to the point where the water just bubbled and spurted rather than spraying properly as it was the day before.

But here's the weird part. City verified pressure at 78 psi, which they said was very good. But when they tested the hose bib, NOTHING came out! They said to test the water shut off valves, but we've never touched them, and certainly didn't do anything in the 24 hours the flow changed dramatically. By the time we got home to test it, the water flow at the hose bib was back to what we had experienced.

Incidentally, we have a shared wall with a neighbor (who has an identical home, but with a separate plumbing system) and her hose bibs are clearly full flow compared to ours.

We did notice that this seems to be a cold water issue exclusively. We didn't notice pressure/flow issues in the house, until a friend suggested we we test the kitchen sink faucet (which has one control arm to select temperature) and we noticed the hot water flows more strongly than the cold. When we tested other sinks in the house (which have two control knobs, one for hot and one for cold) we did not notice a difference in flow. And for no reason in particular, the kitchen sink cold water stopped completely, for about an hour (the hot water remained fine). The cold water resumed as mysteriously as it stopped.

I read your article here about obstructions, but why would obstructions affect some faucets in the home, and not others? And why the sporadic nature of the water stoppage/reduced flow?

Thanks so much for your help!
    Adam

18. Jennifer

Does water pressure change if you go from a two knobs set up to a single knob set up