Residential Steel Beams

1. Jimmie Roan Sr.

i'm curious if you can dig under a sinking solid foundation in several places and run steel i beams under the foundation in order to level foundation. seems like a better way of doing it than what i see locally. most of the homes in my neighborhood have cracked foundations, built in the late 60s in the highlands hills area southeast san antonio. have heard bad soil and also cheap construction from builders.

2. gary

Hi Tim and others, I hope you are well.

I'm working through your book Basic Structural Concepts, but I'm still stuck on how to specify the elements in my own steel structure.

I'm building a very simple single-story 36sqm home/office with a roof terrace. Instead of concrete for the terrace, I'm using cement board (because it's a lot lighter) that will be sealed and covered with tiles.

However, I have no idea how to work out what steel elements to use in the construction to support the weight of the terrace (and other live loads).

Please can you recommend any (inexpensive) software that will allow me to draw in the design - of the columns and beams - and enter the overall load. And then calculate the minimum specifications of the steel members that will support the structure.

Alternatively, is there a (layman's) book that explains how to calculate this roughly (not just a way to calculate the loads, but how to choose and position the individual steel members). I can always add in a 50% margin for safety in case I miscalculated or overlooked something.

3. Al

I want to obtain this house that was built in 1859 and the structure is pretty bad. I need to create a cantilevered overhang that will be approx. 4 feet wide by 28 feet long-- down one side of the house to allow for a proposed driveway. I was looking for someone in the Cleveland area who knows how to design and install steel I- beams in old Residential construction. I figure the house would need a complete skeleton of I-beams rising vertically from basement footers placed at equal distances from center of house and than capped off with horizontal I-beams - both of which will need to project 4 feet beyond to create a cantilevered (shelf) to support the existing 4 feet x 28 feet upstairs-- while the 4 feet by 28 feet lower section will be removed to make room for proposed driveway. It is really hard to find someone who is an engineer --who will look at old residential construction and blueprint this for the permit process, and erect it. Do you know of anyone who is qualified and willing to take on such a project? If so please forward them my e-mail address. Thank you, Al in Cleveland, Ohio

4. raul

hello, I would like to open a load bearing wall, I have a 2 story home, around 400 sq ft in each level, with 8 ft height ceiling, there are 2 metal I beams in the basement, in the center there is a lally metal column, and each beam is around 10 ft long, 8 inches height. I want to open the wall above, but just 14 ft long, there is a stair going to second fl in one corner, what size of I beam should I use to support the second fl, which has 2 bedrooms and 1 bath plus the roof. I will use the post to be sit on top of the i beams in the basement. thanks. and Happy New Year!!!

I believe I have the exact answer for you in the column about sizing the beam. Did you miss it?

5. dana
    February 2, 2015

Hi. Our basement has a 5 inch metal beam supporting one story above it. The metal story above it is about 22 by 22 feet. The beam originally spanned the 22 feet and had two metal posts holding it up at even intervals. Before we bought the house the previous owner had taken out one support beam leaving around 14 feet without any supports. So far there has been no sagging in the floor above, but I am still questioning if this seems like enough to support it. My husband things I'm too concerned and that if it were going to fail it would be sagging by now. He says because it's metal it should be fine he does not want to out a support beam back in and in fact covered up the original footing spot with flooring. Any advice?

February 3, 2015

It depends on the load above. Stretch a string out from the bottom of the beam to see if it's really NOT sagging.....

6. Alexander Bran
    February 18, 2015

Hi. My builders have installed 2 steel beams in my loft, but I have learnt that a 4 inches brick wall will not support them. Is this true?

7. Lee Merrick

Hi there. I bought a piece of property in callaway fl bay county that had a mobile home on it. I tore the mobile home down and built a house. However I left the I beam under it. Is it considered a house now or a mobile home. Thanks for that assistance

8. Michael Sosa

I live in the Bronx I have an old home in need of a steel support beam. I have the beam n lolly columns just need them installed. Need holes drilled in foundation for Lollys.

9. jim

Hi - we have a steel joist with steel posts supporting it in our basement which is about 20 feet wide or so. The beam goes into the basement wall (cinder block) and supported by 4 steel posts. We'd really like to remove 1-2 of these posts if possible to free up the basement space. Where might I find more information on how many is actually needed to support our house (we have a 1400 sqft coloniel)?

I'd read the column above one more time, paying close attention to the last paragraph.

10. Matt
    November 25, 2015

I have a 115 year old house that I need to lift so that I can redu the footings and perimeter foundation. It is a 2 story house, 2408 sqft per floor. What size I beams would I need to lift it. I was thinking of 3 beams, it is 47 ft by 49 ft that includes a porch that is in an L shape on 1 corner. Any help would be appreciated thanks.

11. Andy

Hi Tim,

Building a new house and architect drawings give us a wide space in the family kitchen and dining area. Steel is required to support the floor above and professional advice has suggested a 30inch beam which will not fit in the floor joists and we don't have high ceilings so will feel protruding if hanging down, obviously covered. Have you any suggestions as alternatives to retain large space and keep a flat ceiling? Cheers.