Column and Beam Construction

1. vinay
    December 5, 2014

I have query regarding construction of pillars in a house which was not constructed with pillars. Can we construct pillars in house that has no pillars?

December 5, 2014

Yes you can. Build them.

2. preethi

We are constructing 2 floor house..does pillar is mandatory??

Maybe. There are about 10 variables. Just look at the longest bridge you can think of and see how they build for long open spans.

3. Edwin Mercado
    March 10, 2015

Good morning Sir, Can I build a 12' beam from 2 x 8 together whitout support columns.

March 11, 2015

Yes you can! The thing I can't tell you, is HOW MUCH weight that beam will support and not fail! You need an engineer to help you. It's all a function of the wood species, grade of lumber, etc. Don't guess or else the beam may fail.

4. joe

Hi i have a question regarding columns and beam. im building a house. I already have signed plans for it but im just curious. I have 6 columns all on the sides some at 3m and some at 6m apart with no column in the middle of the house.. and on the 2nd floor the slab is extended .5m and 1m on some location. When i saw the plans, i saw that the beams for the 2nd floor are located on the outer part of the slab. Meaning its is .5 and 1m away from the column. Then the planted columns are all on top of the beam ( .5 to 1m away from column). And also the planted columns will carry the weight of the roof beams and roofing.. My question is is this structuraly safe? Thanks in advance.

The only way one can answer this question is to do structural calculations after looking at the plans. I could just guess from thousands of miles away, but that wouldn't be prudent.

5. joe

Thanks tim.. to be honest i dont do structural calculations. Im not sure if i can.. would you design sometjing like that? Is there like a common practice or anuthing? Thanks

6. Khadgesh
    November 12, 2015

Hi Sir, I had 2 questions to ask you, I had a single floor house,I want to make it as duplex one by cutting the slab at safe area, my 1st question is that, can i cut the slab, if i cut so, will it be structurally safe for minimum 20 years. And my 2nd question is that can we I construct walls on 1st floor without columns. Thanks in advance

7. Andrea

Hi. I know very little about construction but we bought a new house and chose the company for their good reputation and solid feel to the construction of their model homes. We have noticed that the I beam in our basement does not extend all the way across the basement. It's supported by a thinner metal post of some sort at its one end beside our stairs (not extending to the garage cement wall) but we have already had issues with an upstairs door getting stuck and some floor bumps/creaks/possible minor buckling. Is this normal? Is this going to cause more problems down the road? We are disappointed that it doesn't seem as solid, right off the bat, as what we thought it should.

8. A D
    February 14, 2016

Hi. My question is:

Can I spam a beam and set it over a header for a sliding glass door? The beam will extend from a load bearing wall on the top floor which supports the roof.

9. sunil
    February 23, 2016

i want to build a sheet shed with 2.5' brick wall on terrace. but the terrace has 5 feet balcony. the terrace is on the second floor. the bacony has pillars in under floor. but i dont know how strong ther are.
    can i build a 2.5' wall on that side of the balcony. other 3 sides are safe

10. SHEKAR

I am planning to construct one more floor on existing first floor. But the building was constructed without pillars. What are the steps to be taken to do so.? Can I raise coulmns from the base and do it or can i Build without pillars also?

11. Bregetta Tate

i have an 100 year old house that has a 2 foot crawl space running from one end of the house to the other end of the house, it is 1000 sq feet, i need support columns under my house cause half of the columns fell down, i am trying to find out how to build and place the foundation columns

12. monisha shi

i have constructed a house but i did not put beam for the roof and now i want to construct a room in the roof .so how do i put the beam without breaking the roof?

13. Supernova

I am planning to construct a duplex house with columns. I would like to know If I can construct another floor/house on top of the duplex house if I plan now with regards to structure beams and columns.

The site is rocky with big boulder stones.