Low Voltage Landscape Lighting Problems

Uncategorized

Plan the Cables

Many homeowners who have low voltage landscape lighting have problems with cut power cables. It is easy to forget over time where shallow buried cables lie. To avoid this, try to plan your cable runs so they might not fall where you will possibly landscape in the future. After you install the cables, consider making a detailed map of your light layout and where the cables are. Take measurements off permanent outdoor points like corners of your house, edges of patios, any feature that is not likely to move. Take this drawing once completed and put it in a zip-lock plastic bag and nail it to the wood panel where your main electric circuit box is. You should remember that it is there as you think about buried cables when you start to dig in the future.

Bad Bulbs

I have received complaints from people who feel low voltage light bulbs burn out too soon. This can happen for two primary reasons. If you buy cheap bulbs, don't expect them to last. There are imported low voltage bulbs that are flooding our markets. They look great, but they usually don't perform as well as a domestic name-brand bulb.

Also, you really need to wear cotton gloves when you install them. NEVER touch a low voltage bulb with bare hands. The oils from your hand cause the high quartz content glass around the bulb to actually become brittle. This can cause the high pressure gas inside to leak out!

Companion Articles:  Outdoor Lighting, Landscape LightingLow Voltage Landscape Lighting ResourcesLow Voltage Outdoor Lighting Manufacturers

2 Responses to Low Voltage Landscape Lighting Problems

1. Why do may lights stay on for 2 hours or so an then shutoff? They not on a timer. I turn them on manually. Thanks for any guide nice you can provide.

Bob

2. My low voltage outdoor land scape lighting was working well. We had a heavy rain a few days ago, and now they will not come back on. I have look at each of the connections to make sure the wires are setting in the prawns correctly. I also check to make sure the lead wires into the transformer are connect good as well. I do not heard any sound from the transformer box. I have also checked the fuse, and the outdoor outlet to make sure it is getting power. I did notice day or so before the storm that the light were on during the day . This has a sensor . Could it be possible that the transformer box shorted out. I did not attach it to the wall, I had it setting on a brick retainer wall I built that was close to the outdoor outlet. Is there a re-set button anywhere on the transformer. I do have one of the spot lights sticky straight up so the light could shine in the tree. Is it possible that water maybe have shortage out that spot light. I did not remove the wire to check .
    If the transformer is bad, can I just replace the transformer? As these were very expensive and I have only had them in the yard for about a month .